Many men have legitimate concerns about the side effects of primary treatment options. There are also many misunderstandings regarding treatment. In fact, many of the side effects that men fear most are often less frequent and severe than they might think, thanks to:
- Technical advances in both surgery and radiation therapy
- Researchers persistently seeking new ways to help overcome side effects
- Improvements in treatment delivery
It’s still important to understand how and why side effects occur, and to learn how you can minimize their impact on your daily life.
There are six broad categories of side effects typically associated with prostate cancer treatments:
- Urinary dysfunction
- Erectile dysfunction
- Bowel dysfunction
- Loss of fertility
- Side effects of hormone therapy
- Side effects of chemotherapy
Depending on the treatment strategy, some or all might be present. Not all symptoms are normal, and some require immediate care.